Discount Membership with AgriSafe if you use code by 2/28/2017
NCAE allied member, AgriSafe is offering all NCAE Members a discounted membership through 2/28/2017 with the code: NCAE2017. To join visit: agrisafe.org/become-a-member and enter the code.
The AgriSafe Network membership includes access to a wide range of agricultural health and safety resources and trainings.
All Membership Level Benefits include:
- On-demand Webinars
- Member Only Webinars
- Technical Support
- Networking Opportunities
- Screening Protocols
AgriSafe has provided a special membership option and Member information for NCAE members which you can find here.
Department of State Memos and Executive Orders regarding Immigration
DHS Secretary Kelly has issued an order that emphasizes enforcement and increases resources for enforcement. The new order, prioritizes removing not only those undocumented immigrants who are charged with a crime or in jails, but also the removal of undocumented immigrants who have “abused” public benefits, misrepresented themselves or “in the judgment of an immigration officer, otherwise pose a risk to public safety or national security.” Additionally, DHS will hire 10,000 new immigration officers and potential reversal of a number of Obama administration policies. Under this and previous orders, virtually every agricultural worker who is working under false documents is probably “removable” and the language relative to employers is not encouraging. The language in the order suggests more and faster deportation of those caught up in audits. With the planned addition of more ICE agents and enforcement resources, instructions to DHS to use every opportunity to promote implementation of e-verify, and reference to use of all the I-9 powers of ICE “to assess and collect all fees and penalties” including from those who facilitate their unlawful presence in the US— we expect to see increased emphasis on workplace I-9 audits and penalties. We (NCAE and other agricultural organizations) are even more concerned about the stability of the ag workforce in light of these orders.
Orders from DHS (2):
(1) Enforcement of the Immigration Laws to Serve the National Interest
(2) Implementing the President’s Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements Policies
DHS Overview of Executive Order on Interior Enforcement of Immigration Laws (Issued 1/25/17): 2017 DHS Overview of Trump Executive Order on Interior Enforcement of Immigration Laws
Executive Order issues 1/25/17: Executive Order on Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the U.S.
In light of Recent Executive Orders on Immigration…
There are reports from all over the country, agriculture and urban/suburban employers, that immigrant workers are very concerned, preoccupied, and vocal about concerns for their family members who are either not yet here, or whose documentation may be lacking since the recent Executive Orders (EOs) and prospects for enhanced enforcement actions. A couple of tips for employers, we know you want to help:
- Offer empathy but do not pry. If you come to know, or should have known, that they are concerned over their own status, you will have to take action. If you come to know an employee is not legally work authorized, you will be forced to let them go.
- Remember that you are not an attorney (or at least most of us reading this are not) if someone needs legal advice— they need it from someone trained and qualified.
- Offer resources: in many communities there are well known groups who have the resources and skills to help people in these situations. We cannot tell you who that might be in your community but they are often housed at interfaith councils, Catholic Charities, even the ACLU. It is worth a few phone calls ahead of time to know who these groups are in your community.
- Thanks to NCAE Member and attorney Jamila Ahmed-Marga of Youngblood Associates, LLC in Vienna, Virginia for sharing the linked documents in English and Spanish from the National Immigration Law Center for you to have available:
Know your rights – in Spanish
Know your rights – in English
ICE Raids Preparedness – in Spanish
ICE Raids Preparedness – in English